Comments and discussion on current issues WITH CANDOR, GOOD WILL and maybe some HUMOR OR FRIENDLY SARCASM — In today’s world, it seems like everyone gets caught up w/ identity politics and no one is able to have a discussion of different ideas. Thanks to many of our political leaders over the last 10-20 years’ people take offense when someone else doesn’t agree with them instead of listening to their point of view and maybe, just maybe, improving our own viewpoint with additional input —
Here’s a place where we can hopefully throw ideas back and forth and maybe see issues through a slightly different lens and see the absurdity of some of the positions put forth by the all-seeing/all-knowing media and their sidekicks – “The Pundits”
- Independent Thinkers and a Questionable Media - The mainstream media is peddling incomplete or outright false narratives and this is a heavy burden on our freedoms. It's time to take a fresh look at the news we consume
- Where did the Leader of our Republic go? - The US is unique among all the countries in the world, either now or over time. Our understanding of ruling the country is based on the very simple concept of By the People and For the People. Few countries have come close to this ideal but none have duplicated it to the extent we have. Until recently we successfully integrated every culture that wanted to live here and was able to make them a functioning part of our republic.
As we begin our next election cycle think very carefully about who you will vote for. Will they be a leader with a conviction or a manager subject to the latest polls and political wind, driven by a prejudiced media? We clearly do not have a leader now. Personally, I'm not interested in voting for someone who will make decisions for my own good that I should make for myself.
- The Politics of the Pandemic and the Consequences - As information about the Wuhan Virus is coming to light we are learning more about our politicians and our press and it's less than encouraging. From that first meeting debacle between President Trump, Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer in the oval office you could tell from the Speaker's demeanor she would do anything possible to make President Trump "pay" for not showing her the respect she believed she deserved. Because she thinks in terms of status quo and personal control, while Trump thinks in terms of performance and the best impact for the most people, she has had a difficult time restricting the results of his actions. She finally found a way to tarnish Trump with the Wuhan Virus, (CoVID 19 for those beholding to China). In Feb 2020 she fired her first significant salvo when she went on a Chinatown tour to convey the message there was nothing to worry about, no need to be an alarmist recommending everyone wear masks. Trump was just being Xenophobic for shutting down travel from China and Europe.
- Climate change questions – Is it time to go back to nature? - The climate change question is now settled science, or so we have been told since before the first term of Obama's presidency. From major hurricanes, tornadoes, forest fires to droughts, increasing CO2 and runaway biological methane we are facing an existential threat to our existence and it is the most important issue we face today. Bigger than any terrorist threat from the middle east or cyber-attack from China or Russia. Is this really the case? Are we to believe nothing else matters because regardless of another "911 attack", military coup or financial meltdown the climate will kill us all in short order?
As Europe is discovering we must be careful and smart about how we implement changes to our power consumption. It shouldn't be about power generation to the exclusion of all else. Europe has invested heavily in wind and solar power and this year the wind is not as strong as in the past, the result is a drop in power generation capability. Europe's answer to the short gap is to bring on lignite (coal) fired power plants. For the uninitiated, lignite is the dirtiest and cheapest form of coal currently in use. It goes without saying they will not meet the Paris Climate Accords targets for the foreseeable future.
- Are we better off with Equity or Equality? - 09/02/2021 A number of people on the left, progressives and the Press, (redundant I know), are making a point of transposing Equity and Equality. Seems reasonable right? Not really, Equity involves a sense of fair play, parity, evenhandedness. With Equity, you have similar results regardless of the prevailing conditions. This may appear to be reasonable … Continue reading Are we better off with Equity or Equality?
- Is there a ruling class in America? - 08/11/2021 Every day you hear someone in the news telling us with the utmost confidence how we are a racist society, or black people are being murdered in the streets by the police. Perhaps, it’s about our education system isn’t really teaching our kids the dark side of our history, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington … Continue reading Is there a ruling class in America?
- What makes a good economy (How do you define a good economy)? - 07/18/2021 What makes a good economy (How do you define a good economy)? Now, more than ever, it seems this is a very pertinent question. Inflation appears poised to go over the top reminiscent of the Carter years. The Federal Government is pumping trillions of dollars into the economy and the value of the dollar … Continue reading What makes a good economy (How do you define a good economy)?
- What’s good is bad, What’s bad is good: - 04/13/2021 In the US our basic nature is that of an independent people. We are innovators who do things independently instead of following someone else. This country started out like that when the Puritans left Europe because they didn’t want the Church of England telling them how to worship their God. Next, the “Commoners” in … Continue reading What’s good is bad, What’s bad is good:
- The Uniqueness of America – what happens when the generation of the “Safe Space” graduates from College? - The US is truly a phenomenal country that has benefited so many people around the world over the years. We are in danger of losing it all because of the cancel culture, naïve college professors and ineffectual press can't stomach discussion or debate
- Grand Conspiracy Theory or Who’s really running this country? - In some administrations the staffers appear to run things for the politician. We need to be more diligent in our selection of a politician (representative)
- Is there a party of Hate? - 02/16/2021 We’ve seen and experienced a significant change in American society in the US over the past 12 years. There has been a significant yet subtle increase in the divisiveness of political philosophies as well as a furthering of class warfare. For a time we were all working together whether you embraced the liberal, conservative, … Continue reading Is there a party of Hate?
- United we Stand in Freedom, Divided we Fall in Censorship - Our country was built on individualism and freedom, we embrace independent thought and discussion, we are the first to volunteer to help support others
- What is America – The Grand Experiment - 11/09/2020 This article is about a subject that has become a source of great division within the country. It is a very sensitive subject, one that I truly feel a need to discuss but also, I want to treat it with respect and sensitivity. If you read through the articles I’ve written over the last … Continue reading What is America – The Grand Experiment
- Trump’s Economy - 10/03/2020 The discussion of the health of the economy seems to take many different forms. My last article dealt with the progression of the economy from the Bush years through the Obama years and finishing with Trump. In it, I laid out the argument the current economy has everything to do with Trump’s policies of … Continue reading Trump’s Economy
- Who’s Economy? Trump v Obama - 09/17/2020 Well, you can tell people are beginning to feel better about their situation again. The great market debate is coming around again, we’re not just talking about masks/no masks, China Flu or opening the restaurants for indoor dining. The conversation of late is whether the economy is a result of President Trump’s efforts or … Continue reading Who’s Economy? Trump v Obama
- Critical thinking vs Thinking critically - Is there a difference, or more to the point, what is the difference? As you read through all my articles I hope and I believe you’ll notice a common theme running through all the articles. I try to instill in anyone who generously takes very precious time out of their day to think about the … Continue reading Critical thinking vs Thinking critically
- What does it mean to be an American? - Given the dialogue in the media of late, it would appear America is nothing more than a group of disorganized immigrants with nothing in common other than coming from another country where everyone is poor and the only opportunity for them to improve is to come to the US of America, (remember America includes Mexico … Continue reading What does it mean to be an American?
- The Arrogance of the Righteous Media; they’re never wrong - 08/14/2017 The press has decided that it is the voice and conscience of the people. They are there to explain what our leaders say because as Judy Miller intimated this morning we are too stupid to really know what was said, whether directly or “between the lines”. Judy had the gall to say it … Continue reading The Arrogance of the Righteous Media; they’re never wrong
- Affordable Health Care discussion: is it the definition of insanity? - 08/09/2017 Einstein has been quoted as saying “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result”. For the last 7 years we’ve been laboring under the notion that the only way to get medical expenses down is to involve the government in a way that caps various … Continue reading Affordable Health Care discussion: is it the definition of insanity?
- Democrats finally admit their intention to initiate a single payor health care - 07/25/2017 Democrats finally admit their intention to initiate a single payor health care Now we know exactly why the Democrats were not included in the health care discussions with the GOP. They want to double down on the Obama policies and extend the Obamacare to the only logical extension there could be – a single … Continue reading Democrats finally admit their intention to initiate a single payor health care
- Holding the Media and the Politicians to a Higher Standard - 07/19/2017 Holding the Media and the Politicians to a Higher Standard There something terribly wrong when we allow the press to draw conclusions about what is happening and what conversations are being conducted. I’m talking about the “2nd” Trump/Putin meeting at the G20 Summit. The MSM is all “a-twitter” someone said, someone saw Trump and … Continue reading Holding the Media and the Politicians to a Higher Standard
- Honesty in Journalism or Professional “Safe Spaces”? - 07/10/2017 Honesty in Journalism or Professional “Safe Spaces”? Ever had the feeling that you’re missing something but you can’t put your finger on it? Something about all the press coverage has been bothering me. The argument put forth has been so compelling for Trump to lay off the Fake News issue and quit going after … Continue reading Honesty in Journalism or Professional “Safe Spaces”?
- Factions, Identity Politics, Us vs Them, Is there anything good about it? - 07/04/2017 Factions, Identity Politics, Us vs Them, Is there anything good about it? The rancor we hear in the news about what’s going on in Washington sounds like we’re tearing the country apart. How will the country ever survive. A Bernie Sanders supporter goes “head hunting”, can it get any worse, who’s to blame, shouldn’t … Continue reading Factions, Identity Politics, Us vs Them, Is there anything good about it?
- Is it a lie or a misdirection? - 07/01/2017 Is it a lie or a misdirection? Transparency, this is the least transparent administration that we’ve seen in recent history! Wait, … no not quite, if you remember there were meetings in private offsite places where there wouldn’t be any documentation for the FOI to discover, meetings on runways and who else knows what … Continue reading Is it a lie or a misdirection?
- Identity Politics, Identity Life, Who are we, What are we? - 06/22/2017 Identity Politics, Identity Life, Who are we, What are we? Seems like everyone today has a need to be, or has a need to just categorize everything in their life, even those who rail against all the identity politics they hear on TV categorize fall into the definitions they assign to others. Recently I … Continue reading Identity Politics, Identity Life, Who are we, What are we?
- Global Warming or Climate Change, is Paris the answer? - 06/02/2017 Global Warming or Climate Change, is Paris the answer? Well as of yesterday we’re not in the Paris Climate Change accords anymore and many call this an outrage, an offense to humanity, (John Kerry, I think he’s swift boating us again), a clear sign Trump is against clear air and clean water, (Jehmu Greene). … Continue reading Global Warming or Climate Change, is Paris the answer?
- Functioning Government or Gridlock - 05/30/2017 Functioning Government or Gridlock There’s a popular conception, I prefer misconception, that the best government is one which does nothing, one that is in perpetual gridlock. That way no one else gets screwed and no other problems get “solved” or we don’t end up with a solution in search of a problem as so … Continue reading Functioning Government or Gridlock
- Politics in Government – Who Knew - 05/26/2017 Politics in Government – Who Knew Who would have thought there was politics in government. Don’t we all get along and discuss problems? Work things out so we get the best answer? That’s the original idea but as you can see things have changed slightly such that a few individuals have pushed for their … Continue reading Politics in Government – Who Knew
- How things look with adults running things - 05/21/2017 How things look with adults running things Emotion seems out of place, complex ideas are used to solve multifaceted problems, Childish antics by spoiled dictators and religious leaders are called out for what they are and bad actions actually have consequences. Plans are put in place and agreements made that countries with different philosophies … Continue reading How things look with adults running things
- Honesty and Integrity – Pillars of the American Media - 05/16/2017 Honesty and Integrity – Pillars of the American Media Or at least that was the idea at one time, it seems that this isn’t as important as it once was. I think Woodward and Bernstein probably held to these ideals at the time they reported on Nixon and Watergate. They revealed a side of … Continue reading Honesty and Integrity – Pillars of the American Media